Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Where to start?!

Right. Here.

It all begins with being open to possibilities, and realizing that you are exactly where you are supposed to be at this moment.

I want to tell you a story.

Two years ago, my husband and I separated. Being a stay at home mom and homesteader, I didn't exactly have a savings, or income. I scoured job ads in different cities that I wouldn't mind living in, with an emphasis on bartering for living quarters. There was one in New Orleans. With only $700 in my checking account, I was hesitant (to say the least!) to go without anywhere to land. I consulted with my then 11 year old daughter... she gets a say in where we go, too. Her answer was inspired and brave. "Mom, don't worry. You never have an interview without getting the job. This is YOUR JOB! Now, let's go."

We went, and arrived on St. Patrick's day. I met with the owner of the hotel that was hiring and was hired on the spot! They were sold out that night, but would find a place for us. We went out to explore and realized that there was about to be a parade. We ate lunch out, caught tons of beads, a cabbage (Yes, they throw cabbages from floats! Dangerous, but yummy!) stuffed animals, and more. When we were done, our room was ready and we were able to settle in.

It was difficult, but doable and exciting. Once our journey there was coming to a close, we came back to Austin. There was an ad on Craigslist that jumped out to me. Permaculture hotel, hiring front desk. I now had the experience to land this job... a job that I knew I would love.

I did. I got it! After three months, was promoted in to management, and now have a killer resume, great savings, and an incredible work family.

This wouldn't have been possible without my adventure in New Orleans. I needed that to get to where I am today, and to be where I will be tomorrow.

I never stop exploring possibilities. I can't afford to stop dreaming, or taking daring leaps of faith.

Where have your dreams lead you? What possibilities are you currently exploring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what'd you think?